InvestorQ : Why are Jio, Bharti and Vodafone Idea attracting so much of buying interest from global PE investors?
Dhwani Mehta made post

Why are Jio, Bharti and Vodafone Idea attracting so much of buying interest from global PE investors?

Answer
user profile image
Khushi Patel answered.
3 months ago


While Digital has become hot property in the Indian market, a large part of the credit must go to Jio Platforms. Global PE funds suddenly discovered their insatiable appetite for Indian digital plays via Jio Platforms. At the beginning of June, RIL had sold 17.5% stake in Jio Platforms for Rs.78,500 crore. In June itself, the Abu Dhabi sovereign fund, Mubadala, and Silver Lakes lapped up another 2.5%. This takes the total monetization of Jio to 20% and that has generated close to Rs.93,000 crore. But, it is not just about Reliance Jio because other digital properties are also playing catch up. For example, Amazon is looking to pick up a 5% stake in Bharti Airtel for $2.1 billion while Google is looking at a 5% stake in Vodafone Idea. These deals are not yet confirmed but they should happen sooner rather than later. But the fact remains that it was Jio Platform for global funds to discover the India digital story.